The CAREERS: The Next Generation Award of Excellence in Skilled Trades
CAREERS: The Next Generation and its industry partners create opportunities for motivated high school students to exercise their interest in the trades as a career path through the high school Registered Apprenticeship Program (RAP).
The Award of Excellence in Skilled Trades was established to recognize promising high school RAP students who are pursuing and contributing to the dynamic fields within the skilled trades and the outstanding mentors who support them.
The CAREERS Skilled Trades career path creates two opportunities for recognition:
- Motivated High School students who choose to manifest their interest, enthusiasm, and ambition towards skilled trades as a career pathway by being selected and practicing through CAREERS as a RAP apprentice in either Grade 11 and/or Grade 12.
- Journey certified mentors who are knowledgeable, enthusiastic about their career, and who demonstrate excellent mentorship traits with student interns.
Thanks to the generosity of the Calgary Regional Safety Committee, four scholarships will be provided to students in 2015. Two students and one mentor will be selected from Northern and Southern Alberta respectively, for a total of six awards.
The student apprentices receiving this award are also eligible for a $200 scholarship*.
*Student recipients must be able to provide proof of registration in an approved post secondary training program leading to certification in a recognized trade, in order to receive the scholarship funds.
If you have witnessed or worked with a promising RAP student you feel that should be recognized for their contributions to the skilled trades, please review and complete the student nomination.
Nominate a student apprentice click here
An outstanding mentor helps these students explore a skilled trade in greater depth, showing the practice of skills today while inspiring the opportunities of tomorrow.
Having a good mentor, a good placement, and developing Alberta’s youth are instrumental in achieving our mutual goals:
- Increase awareness of careers in Skilled Trades
- Build employability and marketability skills in youth
- To grow a future skills trades worker talent pool in Alberta
Nominate a mentor click here