DATE: August 17, 2023
JOB NUMBER: 2023-50
HYBRID WORK: Non-Eligible
POSITION TYPE: Contract
LOCATION: Athabasca, Alberta
Who are we?
Al-Pac is the largest single-line kraft pulp producer in North America. We strive to be leaders in what we do, from our quality products, mill operations and responsible forest management practices, to the way we grow and develop our team members, and work with local communities. We are continuously investigating in new and innovative ideas, while delivering premium products with a commitment to strong environmental stewardship and corporate social responsibility – a commitment demonstrated by our long-standing Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certification*.
Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. (Al-Pac) is seeking highly motivated, enthusiastic and supportive team players for our 2024 Woodlands Summer Student Program.
As part of Al-Pac’s Successional Strategy, the Woodlands Summer Student Program is designed to develop the next generation of professionals while rewarding the students with meaningful work, competitive pay and the opportunity to learn from industry professionals through hands-on experience.
These positions are based at the mill site near Boyle, AB and will begin in May until August 2024. Typically, these roles operate Monday-Thursday, working ten (10) hours per day.
We are actively recruiting summer students in the following areas:
- Woodlands Planning & Silviculture
Woodlands Planning & Silviculture:
- Complete field quality control audits of layout activities completed by third party consultants, including block and road layout
- Complete stream assessments to ensure compliance with relevant legislation
- Collect and summarize relevant field data for the purposes of creating harvest areas
- Support the planning department with the completion of pre-harvest and forest harvest plans and amendments
- Access checks for summer tree plant
- Tree plant supervision
- Vegetation management program supervision
- Eligible candidates must be returning to a recognized post-secondary forestry/environmental program after summer of employment or recently graduated from a forestry program in the same year of summer student employment.
- Valid Driver’s License (GDL removed) with an acceptable driving history
- Detail oriented and good communication skills
- Strong work ethic and a commitment to self-development
- Excellent interpersonal skills and team oriented
- In all positions, frequent travel required in the Forest Management Agreement Area (FMA) needing extended working hours or days. Remote, overnight stays are required, the frequency of which varies over the course of the year, but typically on a weekly / bi-weekly basis.
- General orientation, including drug and alcohol testing for safety sensitive positions, will be completed on the first day of employment.
- Letter of acceptance or confirmation of enrollment from a post-secondary institution.
- Three (3) year driver’s abstract that was generated within the past 30 days.
- Updated resume in PDF format with cover letter.
Please forward your resume and all other required documentation in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org by September 30, 2023.
Al-Pac is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We wish to express our thanks to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.