West Fraser’s Corporate Woodlands team is seeking a highly motivated Habitat/Wildlife Biologist to join our dynamic team! Relocation assistance provided!!
The Habitat/Wildlife Biologist position is a full-time salaried position reporting to West Fraser’s Senior Biologist. As part of our Corporate Woodlands Team, you will be a key contributor to integrating fish and wildlife habitat conservation goals with sustainable forest management activities.
Ideally the successful candidate will work from our operation in Blue Ridge, Alberta! Blue Ridge Lumber is a large modern lumber manufacturing facility located approximately 30 minutes from Whitecourt Alberta. West Fraser Woodlands team is also open to considering other locations that include Hinton, Slave Lake or Grande Prairie, Alberta. Relocation assistance may be provided for the Habitat/Wildlife Biologist.
Habitat/Wildlife Biologist Responsibilities:
- Provide professional advice and develop innovative solutions for the management of wildlife, fish, water, riparian areas, and forest ecosystems, including the integration of wildlife regulations into forest management plans and operations.
- Design, develop, and oversee biodiversity monitoring programs and species-at-risk conservation programs.
- Conduct primary research independently or as part of an integrated team.
- Develop, update and train Woodlands staff and contractors on current and emerging best management practices for healthy forest ecosystems and protection of key species.
- Provide input to operational forestry processes – cutblock layout, road layout, stream crossing and water management.
- Champion sustainable forest management in public and government forums, especially via participation on research collaboratives with partner organizations
- Managing contracts with a focus on safety and excellence in environmental stewardship.
Our ideal candidate would have:
- A passion for sustainable resource management and developing on-the-ground solutions with a team of talented professionals.
- A Master’s Degree in a Wildlife Ecology program or similar field with 2 to 3 years of profession experience in natural resource management or wildlife management.
- Familiarity with Federal and Provincial legislation and their application in integrated land management planning.
- Demonstrated experience interpreting scientific research for application in natural resource management and conducting applied research.
- Registered or eligible as a Professional Biologist (P. Biol.) in Alberta (Alberta Society of Professional Biologists).
Skills and Job Essentials
- Up to 40% travel may be involved. Applicants must have a valid driver’s license.
- Field work in inclement weather and remote and rugged conditions may also be a requirement. Applicants with experience and safety certificates will be given preference.
- A demonstrated initiative and ability to work with minimal supervision.
- Basic GIS skills is essential. Some understanding of geospatial analytics is preferred.
- At times, work schedules may be irregular and may require over time or unusual hours due to travel and tight deadlines or urgent activities. Applicants should have a demonstrated ability to manage their time well.
About West Fraser:
West Fraser is a leading forest products company. We are listed on the TSX, NYSE, and recognized for the eighth time, as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers. Our goals are straightforward – leadership through safety, profit, responsibility in communities, excellence in people and strength in products.
West Fraser Timber has over 60 locations across Canada, the United States, and Europe. We believe strongly in promoting from within and pride ourselves on providing a challenging environment with continuous development. The successful candidate should be interested in future growth opportunities within the company. West Fraser offers an excellent compensation package including a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and an outstanding pension plan.
West Fraser believes inclusive, diverse teams build a more vibrant workforce, safer operations, and a stronger company overall. We strive to create workplaces and leadership teams that are reflective of the diverse communities we are a part of. We will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, gender, national origin or any other protected legal characteristic.
Apply now at www.westfraser.com/jobs and discover more about our current opportunities!
Internal Applicants click here: https://t11.ultipro.ca
Leadership through safety, profit, responsibility in communities, excellence in people and strength in products.