At Weyerhaeuser, our focus is as much on building our people as building our business. We are committed to creating an environment where individuals can flourish, diversities encouraged, and communities supported. We are one of the premier integrated forest products organizations in the world. We’ve been in business for nearly 120 years and believe strongly in our core values of safety, integrity, citizenship, sustainability, and inclusion which has awarded us being named as one of the World’s most Ethical Companies 10 times.
At Weyerhaeuser, we’re always looking for people who can innovate, contribute, grow, and create! Our employees are the real reason we’ve been in business for nearly 120 years. Their skill and ingenuity have made Weyerhaeuser one of the largest and premium timber, land, and forest products company in the world.
This position is part of the Softwood Lumber Business located in Grande Prairie, Alberta. The Sawmill is a high volume, high recovery, dimension lumber operation that runs three shifts on a 7-day basis.
As Process Control and Electrical Engineer/Technologist, you will plan and lead process control and electrical technologies in the areas of safety, projects, quality, and maintenance for all equipment and facilities in order to meet department and unit goals. You will facilitate team trainings; identify safety, environmental, quality & production issues; collaborate with the production team to maximize productivity and minimize cost and reduce waste; develop the skill set of associates; and proactively address team issues or concerns. You are expected to have a proven track record of demonstrating safety excellence, driving positive change, improving maintenance systems, and effectively leading employees.
This is a full time, exempt position.
Perform the following primary functions:
- Lead process controls and electrical technologies to meet department and unit goals in equipment and building safety, quality, reliability, and maintenance, as well as elevate constraints and debottleneck equipment
- Improve preventive and predictive maintenance methods and systems to reduce unscheduled downtime
- Utilize reliable troubleshooting methods to ensure production volume, quality and overall uptime goals are met
- Apply process control and electrical theory and related knowledge to test and modify developmental or operational electrical machinery, and electrical control equipment and circuitry in industrial environments
By utilizing the following technology toolsets and concepts:
- AB PLCs using RSLogix 5000/Studio 5000 and FactoryTalk RSView SE
- Modicon PLCs using ProWorx32
- VFD and Servo control
- Motion Control
- VisualStudio VB.NET and C#, VBA, and VB6
- SQL and Access Database design and maintenance
- Netwoking including VLANs (both copper and fiber), Modbus, MB+, and DeviceNET
- Computer Systems Configuration and Maintenance:
- PC builds, maintenance, backups, imaging
- Optimization Systems:
- manage parameters of various Computer Optimizer Systems to safely maximize recovery, quality, and production
- maintain, calibrate, troubleshoot, backup various optimizers
Plan, develop, manage, and provide effective leadership for the process control and electrical technologies:
- Ensuring the safety of all associates by identifying safety issues and taking measures to proactively address concerns
- Driving an electrical safety culture based on CSA Z462 and CEC compliance
- Effectively implement training resources to build team capacity by enhancing and building the team’s technical skills
- Project Engineering including – Safety, concept/feasibility, justification/funding, budgeting, design/drawings, installation/implementation/construction and contractor management, start-up/commissioning, BOMs/PMs, Spare parts, training/procedures/documentation
- Use computer-based programs to prioritize maintenance requests, manage maintenance inventory, and plan and schedule work
- Research and procure necessary parts for repairs/upgrades
- Bachelor’s Degree in Engineering, or an Engineering Technologist Diploma, or Advanced Red Seal Journeyman Electrical Ticket (or higher) in a related field such as Electrical Engineering/Technologist, Computer Engineering/Technologist, Electronics Engineering/Technologist
- Knowledge and experience with programming and troubleshooting Modicon, Allen Bradley PLC’s (RSLogix 5000), AC and DC drives, and other industrial control components and devices
- Ability to read and understand electrical power and control system schematics
- Demonstrated computer skills and proficiency in Microsoft Office, other Windows-based programs, and computer-based maintenance programs (SAP, CAD, etc.)
- Experience with VB.NET, C#, VBA and VB6, SQL and Access databases (preferred)
- Networks including Modbus, Modbus+, Ethernet (both copper and fiber) and VLANs, and DeviceNET.
- Familiarity with electrical power distribution systems (preferred)
- Industrial control system design, programming and troubleshooting experience (preferred)
- Understand the function and operation of mechanical hardware and/or packaging equipment or material handling equipment (preferred)
- Ability to lead to a high level of safety performance
- Work-related experience in leading and ensuring compliance with safety initiatives
- Desire and ability to manage people and projects
- Ability to identify root cause of problems and effectively initiate immediate corrective action to prevent reoccurrence
- Excellent communication skills, to include interpersonal, written, verbal, electronic, and technical writing & presentations
- Strong planning and organizational skills
- Strong work ethic, good judgment, and decision-making skills
- Ability to work in a collaborative and team-based environment
- Track record of consistently demonstrating leadership skills as well as positive influence and accomplishments in proactively influencing safety, environment, quality, productivity, and people development
- Working knowledge of business and financial concepts
- Demonstrated results in achieving and sustaining business goals
- Competitive salary
- Full benefits package
- Career growth opportunities
- Continuous employee training and development opportunities
- Typical schedule is Monday to Friday, 8-hour shifts
- Willing and able to work a flexible schedule, including occasional weekends, and able to accept calls during non-business hours, as needed
About Wood Products:
We’ve been delivering quality building products and solutions to our customers for more than 120 years. From builders and dealers to specifiers and homeowners, we offer exceptional product performance and unparalleled support.
For more than a century, we’ve been building our reputation as a leader in sustainable wood products.
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference.
We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. Inclusion is one of our five core values and we strive to maintain a culture where all our people feel a sense of belonging, opportunity and shared purpose. We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce and supporting an equitable and inclusive environment that inspires people of all backgrounds to join, stay and thrive with our team.