West Fraser is a diversified wood products company producing lumber, OSB, LVL, MDF, plywood, pulp, newsprint, wood chips, & energy with 60+ facilities in Canada, the United States, and Europe. We are the largest lumber producer in North America, a leading global manufacturer of wood-based panels and the world’s largest producer of Oriented Strand Board.
If you are interested in beginning a rewarding career path with West Fraser Grande Prairie OSB, we are seeking candidates to build upon our talented production team in the role of:
PRODUCTION TEAM MEMBER – GRANDE PRAIRIE, ALBERTA
This opportunity is the entry level role towards joining one of 4 Production Teams. We are seeking motivated individuals with ambition to further develop their skills in pursuit of a career taking on increasingly more responsibility. Although this is a Temporary assignment (6 months) the expectation is this will establish a permanent opportunity for the successful candidate(s).
Duties and Responsibilities:
Production Team Members must be committed to the safe operation of manufacturing equipment that produces oriented strand board (OSB). We measure success by safe and reliable production of quality OSB. Responsibilities include but are not limited to:
- Work safely and effectively in a team environment
- Advanced First Aid Attendant skillset preferred
- Operate forklifts and other mobile equipment to manage product flow
- Perform regular preventive maintenance and clean-up on equipment
- Problem solve and troubleshoot equipment and issues on a regular basis
- Involvement in ongoing process improvement in the work area
- Ability to flow to work with a positive approach to managing change
- Comply with all Company safety standards and protocols
- Other duties as assigned
Opportunity for career development:
The title of Production Team Member encompasses all the roles involved in the actual production of OSB. As an entry level Team Member, the expectation is for the individual to further grow and develop their skillsets to progress into advanced career opportunities. There are a variety of career development paths in our operations areas including:
- Blending, Forming, Press
- Finishing End
Minimum qualifications required to successfully perform these roles are necessary for someone to be considered for the position.
- Grade 12 High School Diploma or equivalent
- Prior experience in an industrial environment with preference to individuals having experience within forestry or manufacturing
- Ability to work 12 hour shifts on a rotating schedule that includes nights, weekends & holidays
- Ability to work as part of a team while delivering value to that team with a positive attitude
- Eagerness and ability to cross train and further develop skills to add value to the site
- Ability to wear all required Personal Protective Equipment (PPE) which may include respirators and fall arrest harness, along with other standard PPE
- Ability to work in changing environment which may include temperature extremes, heights, odors, dust, confined spaces, indoors and outdoors.
- The ideal candidate will have the following certifications or the ability and comfort level to achieve:
- Telehandler (zoom boom) operator certification
- Forklift operator certification
- Bobcat / Skidsteer certification
- Advanced First Aid Attendant
- Physical ability to safely lift and carry items of various size / weight in an industrial environment
- Commitment to follow our strict COVID protocols
Key Competencies for this position:
- Unwavering commitment to safety and ability to make safe work decisions
- Ability to accept direction and work with limited direct supervision
- Reliable and dependable – with proven track record of limited absenteeism or tardiness
- Effective communication skills with a genuine positive attitude and optimistic outlook
- Professional business demeanor to work in a team environment
As we build our West Fraser Grande Prairie Team – we are seeking individuals who are seeking to work towards a career that offers the potential of stability, competitive wages, pension & benefits programs. A Temporary assignment is the first step in that direction to demonstrate you have the qualifications, competencies and most importantly the attitude to be a solid team member.
To apply, click on our job ad at www.westfraser.com/jobs and then click “apply now” in green at the top of the page and upload your resume.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.