The Process Specialist – Dust Abatement will lead the creation of a comprehensive Dust Hazard Analysis (DHA) plan and develop solutions for the identified risks within the DHA. Success in this role requires an individual that is detail oriented, very organized, can pull people together and drive actions into results.
Duties And Responsibilities
- Work with internal resources and / or specialist consultants to develop comprehensive Dust Hazard Analysis (DHA) plans.
- Develop solutions for the risks identified within the DHA by utilizing external resources that specialize in:
- Fire Detection / Explosion Prevention / Suppression Systems
- Air Systems
- Engineering and Design resources
- Work with our internal Technical and Engineering Departments to develop a comprehensive installation plan with budgets and timelines based on the results of the DHA
- Obtain all necessary technical data
- Projecting cost development for budget approval purposes.
- Gather and provide inputs to complete Capital approval process including Accounts Receivable documentation.
- Manage approved projects to ensure they are initiated and executed with safety as key priority while achieving expectations regarding timelines and budgets.
- Provide status reports on capital projects underway.
- Ensure all relevant safety objectives and legal requirements are observed, including NFPA (National Fire Protection Association) expectations.
- Utilize internal / external support, industry best practices and prior experiences to determine specific initiatives and innovations would systematically and sustainably provide a reduction of risk in a cost-effective manner.
- Process Improvement or Project Management experience
- Experience in heavy industrial / manufacturing environments managing projects
- Preference given to candidates with knowledge of process safety improvement opportunities in the areas of thermal oil management, dust mitigation, reduction of human – machine interface
- Advantageous to have experience with Risk Assessment and MOC (Management of Change) initiatives in a heavy industrial environment.
- An awareness of the environmental impact of design ideas
- Excellent communication skills – written, verbal and presentation
- Strong problem-solving skills
- An understanding of manufacturing processes and construction methods
- Solid team engagement skills to encourage inclusion, participation and effective sharing of ideas
- Although beneficial (but not required) candidates with BS Degree (Engineering, Project Management, Industrial Technology, Business) or equivalent technical post-secondary diploma or trade will be considered an asset
- We are also willing to consider a new graduate of an engineering program who may not have all of the experience as indicated above – but is willing to bring their technical expertise and drive to succeed into a new role.
- This position will be located at our West Fraser High Level OSB facility
- Occasional travel to other West Fraser sites, corporate office and external resources will be required based upon business needs
- The Process Specialist – Dust Abatement must be capable of working in a wood-products manufacturing environment that includes exposure to noise, temperature variances, heights, stairways and grated elevated walkways, confined spaces, odors, flexible scheduling to support a 24/7 operation and the physical ability to travel through our industrial facilities.
This position will report directly to the site General Manager. Although this position does not have direct reports; it will involve some people leadership expectations.
West Fraser is a diversified wood products company producing lumber, OSB, LVL, MDF, plywood, pulp, newsprint, wood chips, and energy with over 60 facilities in Canada, the United States, and Europe. We are the largest lumber producer in North America, a leading global manufacturer of wood-based panels, and the world’s largest producer of oriented strand board (OSB). We are a growing company, believe strongly in promoting from within, and pride ourselves on providing a challenging environment with continuous development.
West Fraser is currently looking for individuals who are interested in a full time, long-term career in a modern mill environment. We offer an excellent compensation package including a competitive salary, excellent benefits, and an outstanding pension plan. Safety is one of West Fraser’s core values and our employees can expect a challenging, stable work environment with career development opportunities.
Thank you for your interest. Only those selected for an interview will be contacted.