Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. (Al-Pac) is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and supportive team player for the role of Woodlands Transportation Business Unit Leader.
The Woodlands Transportation Business Unit Leader (Transportation BUL) is the senior transportation leadership role in the organization and reports directly to the Woodlands Manager. The Transportation BUL is accountable for aligning and managing the annual log haul plans and the log haul safety and compliance programs.
The Transportation BUL ensures the effective and efficient development, delivery, and maintenance of transportation solutions to address woodlands business issues. This includes coordination of Al-Pac’s contractor-based and transportation administration to ensure production, quality, environmental, and legislated requirements are met in a safe and cost-effective manner. This position liaises with government officials, internal and external stakeholders, and coordinates operations with other business units to uphold innovative and sustainable forest management practices while meeting quality, government regulatory, and certification requirements.
The Woodlands Transportation BUL leads an operational and administrative team; collaborates with Woodlands Core Team, and the Wood Yard team members to oversee and coordinate operational planning and mill integration for a budget of approximately $40M.
- Transportation Administration & Operations Management: Manages Al-Pac’s log hauling operations, including loading and hauling operations. Monitors and schedules fibre deliveries up to 3 million cubic meters to Al-Pac yards and surrounding sawmills. Coordinates and schedules log deliveries to meet target levels and timelines. Liaises with other industry partners and transportation contractors to meet haul targets. Adapts to ever-changing challenges to maintain a sustainable haul program, production, quality, environmental and legal requirements in a safe and cost-effective manner. Participates in industry and provincial committees to improve the log haul programs and infrastructure programs.
- Budgeting & Planning: Participates in the development and execution of integrated forest management plans. Develop strategies and provides leadership and direction to improve safety, reduce transportation costs, enhance log value, and maximize margins. Monitors and reports production and costs weekly of respective operations.
- Contract & Stakeholder Management: Maintains, reviews, and manages programs to meet mill delivery requirements; this includes coordinating with planning & land use group, liaising with government officials, managing contractors, and providing input to contractor safety programs. Develops and maintains partnerships with internal and external stakeholders, including a large contractor base, AB government (Transportation and Solicitor General), Municipalities, industry partners, customers (Quota Holders and Sawmills), and support aboriginal initiatives.
- Leadership & Management: Leads and manages the daily operations of the transportation team to ensure operations are being carried out efficiently and cost-effectively by preparing and maintaining short- and long-term operational plans. Mentors staff to adapt to ever-changing transportation challenges, by bringing forward innovation and training to enhance the transportation program through continuous improvement initiatives.
- University Degree or Technical Diploma in Forestry
- Active Registered Professional Forester (RPF) or Forest Technician (RFT)
- Minimum of 8 years woodlands operations; experience focused on forestry transportation (Budgeting, Planning, Harvest, Haul, Road Construction, Reclaim, Silviculture)
- 3 years’ experience in log haul management would be considered an asset
- Contractor Management: Experience in development and management of new and existing contractors
- Logistics management background, preferably in forestry operations
- Experience managing highly productive teams, projects & initiatives, and operating budgets
Knowledge & Skills
- Strong understanding of technical forest management, including operational planning, logging systems, and silviculture systems
- Understanding of legislative requirements (Transportation, Solicitor General, Forest Management in Alberta and the Alberta Occupational Health and Safety Act)
- Familiar with truck management systems (GPS technologies and On-Board Computers)
- Understanding of First Nations culture, and expectations related to economic development
- Ability to excel in high-pressure environments
- Highly proficient with Microsoft Office
- Proven ability to work with stakeholders (First Nations and other communities, forestry companies, and government agencies)
- Communication & Negotiation
- Drive for Results
- Adaptability & Innovation
- Analytical Thinking & Problem Solving
- Decision Making & Judgement
- Customer Service Orientation
- Collaboration & Team Leadership
Please forward your resume in confidence to email@example.com.
We wish to express our thanks to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for the position; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.
Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals.
Closing date for this position is May 29, 2020