Our Grande Prairie, Alberta Lumber mill has an immediate opening for a journeyman Saw Filer who will be reporting to the Saws and Knives Team Leader. The Saw Filer is a pivotal role within the Sawmill Team and will be a 2-year termed position with the potential for a full-time position with the end of the work term. The strategically located mill is currently undergoing a significant modernization project that will enable more efficient processing of smaller diameter sawlogs allowing us to reliably meet customer demand. As part of this expansion, the saw shop is undergoing expansion regarding size and technology and the state-of-the-art saw filing shop will complete its construction by end of Q2 2020. This is an ideal role for an outgoing, organized individual who takes pride in their own accuracy and attention to detail; functions well within a team environment can identify and perform tasks with minimal supervision and can work towards increasing the mill’s reliability. The position will follow shift schedule-shift varies between 8-12 hrs based upon skill set. Initially, this will be rotating morning and afternoon shifts. Shift schedules may change to meet future business needs. There is also an expectation to work a percentage of overtime as determined by business and team needs.
- Participate in safety meetings and activities as determined by team and mill norms and standards
- Benching and fitting bandsaws
- Sharpening, tipping and benching round saws
- Honing and maintaining knives
- Pour Babbitt, maintenance of guides and maintaining guide plane
- Complete PMs for sawmill and Saw Shop machinery as required
- Participate in reliability task teams or activities as required
- Help coach apprentices/operators to learn Saw Filing trade and help with PMs
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
- Certified Journeyman
- Superior analytical and troubleshooting skills with an eye on detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work with others to perform all aspects of maintenance activities
- Available to work shifts
- Good interpersonal skills and communication, enthusiastic, positive attitude
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes would be an asset
- Meeting team norms and standards with a clear focus in active participation in the Safety Program.
- Hours of work are determined by shift schedules and individuals must be able to work the required shift schedules.
- Flexibility to meet changing needs within the business
- Work in all areas of the Saw Shop.
Desired Skills and Experience:
- Journeyman Saw Filer with a minimum of 7 years of sawmill experience
- Ability to perform the essential functions of the position, with or without an accommodation, which includes climbing stairs, navigating catwalks, stooping, bending and exertion of more than 50 pounds frequently, and/or more than 20 pounds continuously to move objects.
About Weyerhaeuser: We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference. We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. We are committed to taking affirmative action to employ and advance in employment women, minorities, qualified individuals with disabilities and protected veterans.