The Position: This position reports to the Wood Processing Team in Grande Prairie, Alberta, Canada. The Grande Prairie mill is a 1000+ tonne per day Northern Bleached Softwood Kraft pulp mill. It currently operates with approximately 320 mill employees in a high performance, results-oriented environment.
Key Functions: This role is responsible for Knife shop duties and Heavy Equipment support for the Chips/Bark area of Wood Processing. Covering equipment operation, safety inspections of the wood processing unit and hands-on support during downtime in any of the three mechanical processes. Safety is a key driver in this role as you will be working alone in the knife shop.
- Participate in the safety, health, and environmental activities in accordance with standards established by the Grande Prairie Mill.
- Responsible for equipment checks, inspections, and maintenance in the shop as well as supporting operations safety requirements.
- Troubleshoot equipment problems
- Ensure an inventory of knives are ready at any time to be replaced in the process
- High focus on safety and improvement opportunities within the shop.
Work Systems Improvements
- Contribute to the improvement and maintenance of technical standards, work instructions, and procedures, identifying and implementing changes as necessary.
- Supporting Wood Processing operations with equipment coverage.
- Quality Orientation and Standards Compliance
- Time Management – Planning and Organizing
- Development and Continual Learning
- Problem Solving
- Accountability and Dependability
- Decision Making and Judgment
- Team Work
- Ability to flow to work
Required qualifications include…
- High school grade 12 diploma or GED
- Ability to work Monday-Friday 8 hour days.
- Willing and able to work overtime
- Experience operating heavy equipment
- Capability using a computer for record-keeping and documentation
- Willing and able to work in a hot, humid, cold and noisy environment
- Ability to communicate effectively and constructively with good verbal and written English skills
- Strong interpersonal and organizational skills
- Comprehend work instructions and set priorities with the ability to work independently as well as part of the team to safely accomplish objectives
- A proactive approach to troubleshooting/problem identification
- Able to perform physically demanding work
- Demonstrated safety leadership
- Mechanical aptitude
Preferred qualifications include…
- Heavy equipment experience
- Knife grinding experience
- Experience in an industrial setting.
- Class 1/Heavy equipment ticket.