Reporting to the Mechanical Maintenance Superintendent, the Senior Project Engineer will oversee all aspects of the mill’s capital and engineering projects. He/she will ensure ANC delivers all projects on budget and in a cost-effective, timely, safe and environmentally responsible matter. In doing so theSenior Project Engineer will provide strong and effective leadership to the engineering team, consultants and contractors and work collaboratively with the other members of the maintenance and operations teams.
- Oversee the design, preparation, installation, and implementation of engineering projects and modifications to plant and equipment. In doing so, the Senior Project Engineer, will plan, schedule, and coordinate the technical and management aspects of all projects.
- Works closely with operations and maintenance teams to develop annual project plans and prepare and monitor the capital budget.
- Procures and manages sub-trades for projects.
- Provides technical services for other departments as required.
- Supervision and scheduling of piping contractors in a mill. Also ensures quality control of the contractor.
- As a team leader acts internally as a coach, motivator, and facilitator with his/her team to ensure projects are delivered in a safe, high quality, and cost-effective manner.
- Supervises operations and maintenance teams and other assigned project personnel where appropriate.
- Ensures efficient use of project management tools to drive project performance.
- Ensures regular contract and communication with all internal stakeholders.
Key Competencies and Skills:
- Strong background in engineering, scheduling, and project management. Has the experience to manage multiple projects.
- Microsoft Project experience would be an asset.
- Well developed communication and interpersonal skills. Relates effectively with people of all levels and encourages opinions. Able to work effectively and collaboratively across an organization.
- Have experience managing teams, including internal staff, consultants, and contractors.
- Have experience in contract negotiations.
- Committed to creating a work environment in which safety is first and foremost on everyone’s mind. Truly believes that workplace safety is a critical component of operational excellence and top financial performance.
- A self-starter with a strong work ethic. Enjoys working with a small committed team that does what it takes to meet the needs of the business. Willing and able to operate in a hands-on and managerial capacity.
Experience and knowledge:
- Minimum of five (5) years relevant project engineering experience ideally in oil and gas, mining, manufacturing, or the forest products environment.
- Bachelor of Science in Engineering or an Engineering Technologist.
- Project management certification would be an asset.
- Ideally a Registered Professional Engineer with Apega or alternatively an experienced engineering technologist.
- Reports directly to the Mechanical Superintendent.
- Oversees a team of 2-4 Engineers and Technologists.