This position is part of the Canadian Wood Products Lumber Business located in Grande Prairie, Alberta. The Sawmill is a high volume, high recovery, dimension lumber operation that runs three shifts on a 7-day basis. Reporting to the Greenside Operations Superintendent, the Sawmill Shift Team Leader will be responsible for the safe coordination/supervision of daily shift operations in the Sawmill to achieve all key metrics. This is a full time and exempt position which includes rotating weekday or weekend night shifts.
- Primarily responsible for the safety of employees, efficient operation of the crew and of the sawmill production facility while on shift.
- Ensure proper job and safety procedures are followed.
- Support safety meetings with Joint Health & Safety Committee hourly representative, prepare scheduling, verify timesheets, track costs and other supervisory functions as required.
- Provide resources and lead team activities within a production unit.
- Guide a team in establishing continuous improvement processes to manage operations in key areas such as safety, quality, production, cost, housekeeping, reliable methods, customer/supplier relationships, problem-solving, team development and performance measurement.
- Provide for team education in both technical and non-technical areas.
- Take the initiative to deal with internal and external issues while ensuring open communication.
- Preparation of appropriate operating and statistical reports.
- Lead process improvement initiatives and teams.
- Control costs and assist in budget/business plan preparation.
- Administer Company policies in a fair and equitable manner.
- As a Team Leader, one of your key responsibilities will be to provide leadership in the area of Reliability Centered Maintenance, helping to develop clear priorities between operations and maintenance.
- Minimum of five years’ experience in wood manufacturing processes.
- Experience in a 24/7 manufacturing environment would be an asset.
- Candidate must have a proven track record of superior leadership, organizational and communication skills within a team-based environment to achieve excellent results.
- Ability to lead the implementation of Safety improvements.
- Knowledge of industrial safety procedures and regulations.
- Ability to generate commitment and motivate employees toward a common goal.
- Strong communication skills; written, oral and listening.
- Ability to track/measure performance utilizing Total Quality methods/tools.
- Good planning and organizing ability.
- Ability to problem solve in a group/team environment.
- Basic understanding of business and financial concepts.
About Weyerhaeuser: We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference. We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
About Wood Products: We’ve been delivering quality building products and solutions to our customers for more than 100 years. From builders and dealers to specifiers and homeowners, we offer exceptional product performance and unparalleled support. For more than a century, we’ve been building our reputation as a leader in sustainable wood products.