Neal Knoot had a diverse professional career working primarily with forest resources as a consultant and auditor. He went to college at NAIT, graduated from the Forest Technology program, and moved to Slave Lake in 1991. He also trained in a wide variety of occupational health and safety roles and became an instructor in First Aid and chainsaw education. Neal was the Operations Manager for Vanderwell Contractors when he passed away in 2021. Neal was very engaged in the community, and he volunteered with many organizations including the Lesser Slave Forest Education Society, Lesser Slave Lake Bird Observatory, the Lesser Slave Lake Regional Fire Service, and Habitat for Humanity.
The Neal Knoot Memorial Scholarship will be awarded annually to a student who is planning to further their education (certificate, diploma, or degree) at a post-secondary institution. The amount of the award is $500. If you are interested in working in Northern Alberta after graduation, you may be eligible to receive an extra $500 from the Northern Alberta Development Council (NADC). For this, you will need to complete an additional funds application form.
The following criteria will be used to evaluate applicants:
- Preference will be given to students planning to take forest products manufacturing, forestry, or health and safety related programs
- Students must be in good academic standing
- Preference will be given to students with volunteer and/or club involvement
- Students must complete the application that includes a written paragraph stating their volunteer experience and a paragraph about their career goals. You may attach an extra page if you need more room for your answers. Students must also submit a current academic transcript.
- To be eligible for matching funds from the Northern Alberta Development Council (NADC), students must fill out the NADC application and return it by mail.
The application deadline is June 1st.
If applying for NADC funding, completed both application forms and mail to:
Lesser Slave Forest Education Society
ATTN: Cori Klassen
1201 Main Street SE
Slave Lake, AB T0G 2A3
All other applications can be emailed with the most recent transcripts to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Visit our website www.lsfes.org to find the application form or call (780) 849-8627 for more information.