DATE: November 9, 2023
JOB NUMBER: 2023-68
HYBRID WORK: Non-Eligible
POSITION TYPE: Permanent
LOCATION: Athabasca, Alberta
Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. (Al-Pac) is seeking a Process Control Team Lead to work out of our mill site in Athabasca, Alberta. The successful candidate is responsible for providing technical support pertaining to Process Controls and Process Control Systems for the pulp mill processes.
Who are we?
Al-Pac is the largest single-line kraft pulp producer in North America. Our mill is located near the communities of Athabasca, Boyle & Lac La Biche. We are leaders in our industry, from our quality products, mill operations and responsible forest management practices, to the way we grow and develop our team members and work with local communities. We are continuously exploring new and innovative ideas, while delivering premium products with a commitment to strong environmental stewardship and corporate social responsibility – a commitment that is demonstrated by our long-standing Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certification*.
- Maintenance of the Control system hardware, operating system and communications.
- Design, programming, and maintenance of regulatory control loops. Need to have and understanding of process control strategies and key concepts.
- Design and maintenance of operator HMI graphics.
- Understanding of security and operational safety, including control of system user access.
- Administration of Process Control System/Network (e.g. System Backups, User Access, Network Switch Configuration, Network layout; design, and maintenance, System Maintenance; Patch and Virus administration, etc.).
- Liaises closely with others involved in different aspects for the systems including instrumentation, electrical, shift E/I, technical, engineering, production, and external IT suppliers.
- Instrument Technologist with a Journeyman Instrument ticket OR a registered Professional Engineer (P. Eng.) with controls experience.
- 3-5 years previous Process Controls System experience or equivalent training.
- Journeyman Electrical ticket considered an asset.
- Leadership experience and interpersonal skills.
- Ability to hold self-accountable and drives accountability within a team.
- Must hold valid Driver’s license (GDL removed with acceptable driving history).
- Experience working within a Pulp Mill and/or Industrial plant is considered an asset.
- Experience reading and interpreting technical specifications, functional specifications and schematics.
- Controls design and implementation (Honeywell Experion preferred).
- Knowledge and skill set pertaining to Process Control Networks: Best Practices, Infrastructure, and Security will be considered a strong asset.
- Self-motivated and self-directed.
- Strong Computer and troubleshooting skills.
- Plans and prioritizes work to meet commitments.
- Must be able to obtain a valid passport, and able to travel for training and other position specific requirements.
What we offer:
- A compressed work week (Monday – Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m.).
- A competitive annual salary including a company-paid pension at 7% and matching RRSP up to 3%.
- Company-paid dental and extended health benefits, including a health care and taxable spending account and supplemental life insurance.
- Four week’s annual vacation to start, increasing with years of service.
- Relocation Assistance Program, depending on eligibility.
- A team-based culture that encourages work-life balance.
Please note our current opportunities are open to applicants for a limited time, resumes can be forwarded in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org
Al-Pac is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We wish to express our thanks to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.