May 2023-August 2023
Incremental Forest Technologies (Iftech) manages several tree improvement programs for a variety of forest companies. Safety is a key aspect of any industrial work site and Iftech places high priority on implementing the company safety plan. As a tree seed orchard worker, you will be working with a small team of like-minded individuals, in a beautiful outdoor setting, to grow and harvest white spruce, black spruce and lodgepole pine seed. Examples of tasks include fertilizing, mowing grass, running irrigation, pruning and performing assessments to name a few.
The progeny site crew members will be engaged in research trial measurements throughout west central Alberta (Manning, Peace River, Grande Prairie, Drayton Valley and Edson) with some time spent assisting in the Tree Seed Orchards.
Progeny Site Crew – 2 positions
Iftech is a leading contractor in tree improvement in Alberta. For the 2022 season we have several research trials to measure throughout the growing season. The crew in this position will be working with the Forestry Supervisor visiting the trial sites from Manning to Peace River, Grande Prairie, Drayton Valley and Edson, AB measuring trees and performing maintenance at the trail sites.There may also be some work in the Tree Seed Orchards. Costs for lodging on the road trips will be covered. Base accommodations are eligible for coverage if the candidate qualifies for funding through Project Learning Tree.
Grande Prairie – 2 positions
The HASOC tree seed orchard is located about 30 km west of Grande Prairie, Alberta. A group ride leaves Grande Prairie every work day taking the crew to the orchard and back. Over the past few years Iftech has partnered with Project Learning Tree for funds to cover accommodations for summer students that qualify for the program.
Drayton Valley – 1 position
The tree seed orchard is located about 20 km north of Drayton Valley, Alberta. The successful candidates will be responsible for their own transportation to and from the orchard and to arrange suitable accommodations. Again, if the student qualifies for Project Learning Tree funds the cost of accommodations will be covered.
- The ability and willingness to work outdoors and perform moderate physical work
- Motivated and willing to learn new skills
- Ability to work in a team environment to deliver a demanding workload
Our Ideal Candidate will have:
- Valid driver’s license
- First Aid Certificate is not required but an asset
- Enthusiasm and a passion for working outdoors
- Reliability and consistency
- A professional and courteous, positive manner
More about the opportunities:
- Tree Seed Orchard positions roughly a 40-hour work week – Monday to Friday (weather dependent)
- Progeny Site Crew positions will be a 10 days on – 4 days off cycle
- Pay starts at $19.00/ hour with increases depending on experience and education related to the field
- Dynamic, team-oriented work environment
- Group ride from Grande Prairie to the Orchard and back, daily
- These positions can accommodate spring or fall camp commitments (i.e. NAIT or U of A)
To apply for these positions, please send a resume to email@example.com.
Deadline for submissions is February 3rd, 2023. Only successful applicants will be contacted.