DATE: December 15, 2022
JOB NUMBER: 2022-78
HYBRID WORK: Eligible
POSITION TYPE: Permanent
LOCATION: St. Albert, Alberta
Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. (Al-Pac) is seeking a Risk Assurance Specialist for the Risk Assurance and Advisory Services Business Unit to work out of our office in St. Albert. The successful candidate will be responsible for the internal audit of financial and/or operational reviews and J-SOX (the Japanese Financial Instruments Exchange Act, for evaluation and auditing of internal controls over financial reporting).
Who Are We?
Al-Pac is the largest single-line kraft pulp producer in North America. Our mill is located near the communities of Athabasca, Boyle and Lac La Biche. We are leaders in our industry, from our quality products, mill operations and responsible forest management practices, to the way we grow and develop our team members and work with local communities. We are continuously exploring new and innovative ideas, while delivering premium products with a commitment to strong environmental stewardship and corporate social responsibility – a commitment that is demonstrated by our long-standing Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certification*.
Internal audit financial or operational reviews/audit responsibilities include:
- Providing independent, objective assurance and consulting services designed to add value and improve the company operations.
- Designing, planning and completing reviews of operations, processes and controls.
- Interacting with senior management and discussing findings and recommendations from reviews/audits.
- Maintaining the credibility of the Internal Audit function by performing work in accordance with the Institute of Internal Auditors (IIA) International Professional Standards.
- Building positive working relationships with stakeholders.
J-SOX internal controls responsibilities include:
- Reviewing company level controls, financial close and reporting process controls, process level controls, IT application controls and IT General controls.
- Evaluating design effectiveness and process-level internal controls – conducting risk assessments and identifying controls in place to mitigate identified risk.
- Maintaining updated documentation including risk control matrices / procedural write-ups (narratives) / flowcharts / checklists.
- Controls testing, identifying control gaps and recommending remediation for deficiencies.
- Researching new or technical subjects when required to support the internal controls work.
- Recognized accounting designation.
- Bachelor’s degree in Accounting.
- Minimum of 3 – 5+ years’ progressive experience in public accounting.
- Knowledge & understanding of best practices in auditing & internal controls.
- Strong Internal Financial Reporting Standards (IFRS) knowledge.
- Experience in a highly computerized manufacturing environment.
- Certified Internal Auditor (CIA)/Certified Information Systems Auditor (CISA) designation would be an asset.
What We Offer
- A compressed work week (7 a.m. to 5 p.m., Monday to Thursday).
- A competitive annual salary, including paid pension and RRSP matching program.
- Four weeks annual vacation.
- Company paid dental and extended health benefits.
- A team-based culture that encourages work-life balance.
- Relocation assistance is available.
Please note our current opportunities are open to applicants for a limited time. Resumes can be forwarded in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org.
Successful external applicants must provide government issued proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Proof of vaccination for COVID-19 will be requested upon acceptance of an offer of employment. Please note that for Alberta residents, only the government issued QR code is accepted as proof of vaccination.
Al-Pac is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We wish to express our thanks to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.