At Weyerhaeuser, our focus is as much on building our people as building our business. We are committed to creating an environment where individuals can flourish, diversities encouraged, and communities supported. We are one of the premier integrated forest organizations in the world.
We’ve been in business for nearly 120 years and believe strongly in our core values of safety, integrity, citizenship, sustainability, and inclusion, which has awarded us being named as one of the World’s most Ethical Companies over 10 times.
Our Grande Prairie, Alberta Lumber mill has an immediate opening for a journeyman sawfiler who will be reporting to the Saws and Knives Team Leader. The Sawfiler is a pivotal role within Sawmill Team and will be a full time position.
This is an ideal role for an outgoing, organized individual who takes pride in their own workmanship and attention to detail; functions well within a team environment, can identify and perform tasks with minimal supervision, and can work towards increasing the mill’s reliability.
The position will follow shift schedule -shift varies between 8-12 hrs based upon skillset. Shift schedule may change to meet future business. There is also an expectation to work a percentage of overtime as determined by business and team needs.
As a Sawfiler in Grande Prairie, the key functions include:
- Participate in safety meetings and activities as determined by team and mill norms and standards
- Benching and fitting bandsaws
- Sharpening, tipping and benching round saws
- Honing and maintaining knives
- Pour babbit, maintenance of guides and maintaining guide plane
- Complete PMs for sawmill and sawshop machinery as required
- Participate in reliability task teams or activities as required
- Help coach apprentices/operators to learn sawfiling trade and help with PMs
- High School Diploma or General Education Degree (GED)
- Certified Journeyman or finished 1st year of Saw filing school
- Superior analytical and troubleshooting skills with eye on detail
- Excellent communication and interpersonal skills with a proven ability to work with others to perform all aspects of maintenance activities
- Good interpersonal skills and communication, enthusiastic, positive attitude
- Knowledge of manufacturing processes would be an asset
- Meeting team norms and standards with a clear focus in active participation in the Safety Program
- Hours of work are determined by shift schedules and individuals must be able to work the required shift schedules
- Flexibility to meet changing needs within the business
- Work in all areas of the Sawshop
About Wood Products
We’ve been delivering quality building products and solutions to our customers for more than 100 years. From builders and dealers to specifiers and homeowners, we offer exceptional product performance and unparalleled support.
For more than a century, we’ve been building our reputation as a leader in sustainable wood products.
We sustainably manage forests and manufacture products that make the world a better place. We’re serious about safety, driven to achieve excellence, and proud of what we do. With multiple business lines in locations across North America, we offer a range of exciting career opportunities for smart, talented people who are passionate about making a difference.
We know you have a choice in your career. We want you to choose us.
Weyerhaeuser is an equal opportunity employer. Inclusion is one of our five core values and we strive to maintain a culture where all our people feel a sense of belonging, opportunity and shared purpose. We are committed to recruiting a diverse workforce and supporting an equitable and inclusive environment that inspires people of all backgrounds to join, stay and thrive with our team.