Reporting to the Planning Superintendent, the Planning Forester will be engaged in a diverse and dynamic role within the Woodlands team, focusing on West Fraser’s commitment to safety, health, and the environment. Key roles of this position include but are not limited to:
- Full engagement and active participation in the Safety Management system to achieve an injury-free work environment.
- Development of the General Development Plan and Annual Operating Plan.
- Developing Final Harvest Plans for timber tenures and negotiating approval with the Government of Alberta. This includes, but not limited to, completing block and road operational plans, resolving issues related to wildlife, archaeological resources, aesthetic management, watershed concerns as well as consultation with First Nations and Metis Settlements, trappers, grazing interests, and other industrial users.
- Supervising field layout contractors, and silviculture contractors, to ensure high quality harvest designs are submitted to Government approval agencies, and to ensure silviculture activities meet government standards.
- Development & submission of the Annual Reforestation Plan and Annual Operating Plans.
- Development of 2 year planning schedules for reforestation while maintaining a sustainable seed inventory and monitoring of tree planning projects.
- Develop, monitor, and participate in the Pre Harvest Assessment program.
- Using, and updating West Fraser’s Woodlands Information System to ensure planning related data is kept current for use by the Woodlands Team.
- Liaising with the Operations Group to ensure operational plans are consistent with the needs of the Operations Group.
- Implementing activities related to West Fraser’s certification initiatives.
The ideal candidate has excellent verbal and writing talents, strong analytical and organizational skills, a high energy, and commitment level in concert with the ability to work effectively as part of a team. Previous operational planning experience and familiarity with GIS and information management systems are definite assets. Preference will be given to individuals who are eligible or are currently members of the Association of Alberta Forest Management Professionals (AAFMP) with at least 2 years of related forestry experience. A current Class 5 driver’s license is required. Proficiency with LRM, ESRI GIS products, and MS Office applications would be considered an asset.
If you are ready to build your career in a company that thrives on growth, a safe work environment, rewarding work, challenge, and opportunity, come build your career with us at West Fraser: www.westfraser.com
West Fraser is a diversified North American wood products company producing southern yellow pine lumber and wood chips across the Southern US and Western Canada. We are the largest lumber producer in North America!
Our employees operate in a culture that values safety first and rewards hard work. We recognize and support our team culture and focus on growing our team by promoting from within – many of our employees have built their careers with us. West Fraser is a growing company that believes strongly in promoting from within and prides itself on providing a challenging environment with continuous development. The successful candidate should be interested in future growth opportunities within the company.
We thank all candidates for their interest. Please apply through our online application process as resumes will not be accepted at the site. No phone inquiries, please.
West Fraser believes inclusive, diverse teams build a more vibrant workforce, safer operations, and a stronger company overall. We strive to create workplaces and leadership teams that are reflective of the diverse communities we are a part of. We will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, gender, national origin, or any other protected legal characteristic.