A leader in the largest non-oil dependent industry in the Wood Buffalo region, Northland Forest Products is currently seeking to fill the role of Operations Manager for our lumber mill north of Fort McMurray. The Operations Manager will focus on producing SPF lumber of varying dimensions and quality as well as Hog fuel, Woodchips, Shavings and Sawdust.
The Operations Manager will foster a team-based environment, ensure safety is paramount throughout the production process and strive to contribute to excellence in all aspects of the business.
If you possess proven leadership, an owner’s outlook, and consistent focus on maintaining innovation, quality, and safety in everything you do:
You will report directly to the Plant Manager and Co-Owner, Craig Ewashko. You will be responsible for the daily performance of 50 team members, growing this team effectively to both minimize disruption and facilitate a second shift for a gradual doubling of production.
Production for the current year is anticipated to exceed 70 million fbm. You will work with the Plant Manager to formulate and implement an effective strategy for gradually increasing production volume through both the addition of capacity and identification of efficiencies. This will include proactive team management, recruitment, identification of potential capital expenditures and coordination with our Woodlands group to ensure an optimal supply of fibre is maintained.
You will help us to continue to grow, innovate and succeed for the next 50 years!
- Oversee daily operations in the plant.
- Manage production and maintenance teams, fostering relationships within a highly effective work environment.
- Refine strategy, policies, and procedures in respect of production and maintenance.
- Plan and direct production and maintenance activities including respective schedules and priorities.
- Generate, review, and analyze reporting related to production efficiency, quality, and maintenance.
- Work with maintenance personnel to trouble-shoot as well as implement longer-term action plans.
- Prepare and monitor operating and capital expenditure budgets in respect of the Mill.
- Proactively identifying opportunities for additional efficiencies or cost control initiatives.
- Participate in monthly management meetings providing clear and relevant reporting in respect of the above items and the current years business plan.
- Work with Northland’s management to provide effective coaching, training, and support to team members.
- Work with Northland’s Health and Safety Coordinator to ensure a high standard of safety compliance and effective policy development.
Qualifications & Core Competencies
- Minimum of 7 years’ experience in manufacturing or processing and a demonstrated track record of success.
- Minimum of 3 years’ experience in a leadership role with a proven ability to develop fully functional teams.
- Demonstrated expertise in the technical aspects of manufacturing including quality control, machine-centre performance, optimization, and troubleshooting
- Collaborative mind-set focused on teambuilding and working with senior management towards shared successes.
- Commitment to safety, efficiency, and operational excellence
- Experience in budgeting and creating operational plans.
- Excellent interpersonal, communication and team building skills
- Preference may be shown to those with extensive experience or post-secondary education in wood products or manufacture.
If you crave innovation, agency, family, and the ability to grow with along with a business and community you care about:
Join the Northland family today!
If you’re interested in joining our team, simply download the application to the left and send it, along with your resume, to firstname.lastname@example.org!
Northland Forest Products is a family owned Sawmill in northern Alberta. Over the past 50 years we have continually upgraded our technology and techniques to ensure we remain at the leading edge of efficiency and sustainability. Building on this track record of success, we are looking for a dynamic, change positive leader to help take our business to the next level.
Follow us on LinkedIn and YouTube
For more information visit: www.northlandforestproducts.com
Fort McMurray, AB
One of the youngest populations in Canada, representing a bountiful diversity of cultures, backgrounds and experiences, Fort McMurray is a welcoming metropolis crouched upon the precipice of the true north. For those that value this northern beauty, Fort McMurray is the perfect environment to work, live and play, a bastion of civilization resting on the very edge of nature’s doorstep.
Fort McMurray’s nine growing neighborhoods are filled with amenities with families in mind. In addition to the Birchwood Trails urban trail system, residents have access to multiple outdoor splash parks, golf courses, green areas, and dog parks. Restaurants, a state-of-the-art cinema, bowling alleys, recreation centers and multiple event venues are also just steps away from home.
Learn more: exploreourbackyard.ca