Director of Business Development
We are enabling a zero carbon, lower cost energy future. We need a strategic Director of Business Development to help us become a global leader in sustainable biomass pellets. This position can be based out of any location in Canada and will be focusing on our Northern region. Preference given to French / English bilingual candidates.
About the Role
Drax needs to double its pellet production capacity of its North American facilities by 2030, and you will be leading that activity.
The Director of Business Development is responsible for developing projects for the safe production of wood pellets in the Northern Operations. The Director of Business Development will support Drax’s continued growth plan through building relationships and assessing potential growth opportunities conducting all business and relationships in a way that exemplifies Drax’s values and behaviours.
This position reports to the SVP, Capital Development. They will closely collaborate with Operations, Fibre Procurement, Capital Construction and Logistics.
This is an ownership and leadership role, which is part of a very lean team. This individual must embrace the wood pellet manufacturing industry. They will become an expert in this business.
What will you be doing?
The Director of Business Development actively builds relationships, sources and develops opportunities for growth projects and provides intelligence to the executive leadership team for consideration. You will support the due diligence process with potential growth opportunities.
You will gain alignment on growth opportunities and drive the capture and execution. You lead the negotiation and completion of contracts including joint ventures, M & A activities, and business development.
You have a large, established network of suppliers and consumers in Eastern Canada’s (Quebec, Ontario) wood basket region. Through this network you will develop an opportunity funnel of projects and investments. You will actively continue to build this network across Canada and our Northern operations.
You have knowledge of Government Agencies, Fibre Suppliers, and other strategic partners in the Wood Manufacturing industry. You understand logistics opportunities and complexities.
You will engage with communities in the target wood basket regions and have a good understanding of:
- Sustainability and social justice issues;
- Regional development incentives;
- Environmental considerations; and
- Labour considerations
You have a strong understanding of economic models and sensitivities for plant development and will work very closely with fibre team to leverage fibre supplier relationships and to achieve fibre security at required pricing.
What you bring to the role:
- Bachelor’s Degree in Operations, Engineering or related. MBA helpful.
- 10 years’ experience, preferably in the Bio Energy or wood products manufacturing industries.
- Experience focused within the Eastern Canada Region (Quebec, Ontario).
- Proven understanding of agricultural manufacturing process, technology and systems.
- Understanding of regulatory compliance.
- Experience negotiating and managing contracts.
- Government relations experience and delivering presentations to Executive Committees and other senior parties including government entities.
- Experience representing the organization to internal and external constituents, including but not limited to government, partners and vendors, employee associations and community groups.
- Proven commitment to safety, both personally and through positive influence on all stakeholders.
- Effective business systems thinker and a good understanding of business process.
- Excellent oral and written communication skills.
This position can be based out of any location in Canada. Preference is given to bilingual (French / English) candidates.
If you’re interested in joining our zero carbon, lower cost energy future and want to learn more, apply today.