DATE: May 31 2022
JOB NUMBER: 2022-44
HYBRID WORK: Yes
LOCATION: Mill Site (Athabasca)
Who are we?
Al-Pac is the largest single-line kraft pulp producer in North America. We strive to be leaders in what we do, from our quality products, mill operations and responsible forest management practices, to the way we grow and develop our team members, and work with local communities. We are continuously investigating in new and innovative ideas, while delivering premium products with a commitment to strong environmental stewardship and corporate social responsibility – a commitment demonstrated by our long-standing Forest Stewardship Council® (FSC®) certification.
We understand work is just one part of your life, and we strive to ensure our team members have a healthy work-life balance. We offer a compressed work week schedule, as well as a generous time-off policy starting with four weeks of vacation allowance.
Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. (Al-Pac) is seeking an Indigenous Relations Advisor to provide support to the Indigenous Relations and Forest Resources Teams to meet business goals related to consultation and harvest planning.
- Community Engagement – Foster positive and progressive relationships with Indigenous communities in a culturally respectful manner through regular communication, liaising with community members and organizations, and attending meetings and events. Identify opportunities for Al-Pac to build relationships with Indigenous communities to enhance mutual understanding and collaboration
- Teamwork – Support implementation of Indigenous Relations and related corporate social responsibility activities and initiatives, including using best practices and innovative approaches Support and assist Woodlands and other teams across the organization with respect to Indigenous community engagement
- Stakeholder Relations – Provide support to multi-sector/stakeholder initiatives and liaise with government personnel as required
- Communication – Maintain excellent communication within the Indigenous Relations team and proactively collaborate with key internal teams across the organization. Provide regular internal updates and reports on Indigenous Relations and community engagement activities
- Post-secondary degree in a related field such as Forestry, Indigenous Studies, or Environmental Sciences
- Minimum 3-5 years of experience in a related professional role, building strong relationships with key internal and external stakeholders and Indigenous communities and organizations
- Strong computer skills (Excel, Power Point, Word)
- Demonstrated excellent communication (both oral and written) and relationship management skill
- Strategic thinking and solutions to challenges and situations
- Negotiating and Influencing Skills
- Good understanding of Forestry and other changing economic factors
• Considered an asset:
- Related work experience in northern communities
- Experience with government Indigenous consultation in Alberta
- Experience with forest harvest planning in Alberta
- Understanding of the history and commitments in treaties
- Frequent travel up to 50% to communities around the FMA (large centers and remote communities), occasionally to Edmonton and Calgary
- Occasional overnight stays
- Flexibility to work outside of regular working hours when required for community engagement
What we offer:
- This is a Permanent position
- You will work out of our Mill Site (Near Athabasca)
- Your working schedule is Monday-Thursday, 7am to 5pm
- A competitive annual salary including paid pension and matching RRSP program, 4-week’s annual vacation, company paid dental and extended health benefits, and many additional employee incentives
- Relocation assistance is available for those who need to move into the local area
Please note our current opportunities are open to applicants for a limited time, resumes can be forwarded in confidence to email@example.com.
Successful external applicants must provide government issued proof of full vaccination for COVID-19 as a condition of employment. Proof of vaccination for COVID-19 will be requested upon acceptance of an offer of employment. Please note that for Alberta residents, only the government issued QR code is accepted as proof of vaccination.
Follow us on LinkedIn, Twitter and Facebook.
Al-Pac is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We wish to express our thanks to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.