West Fraser is a diversified wood products company with over 60 facilities in Canada, USA, the United Kingdom, and Europe. Recognized for the eighth time as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, we are a growing company looking for talented people to be part of our team. Are you interested in working for a company that offers both a challenging work environment and a rewarding career path? Our Grande Prairie OSB division has an opportunity for a:
Maintenance Team Leader – Grande Prairie OSB
Duties and Responsibilities:
Reporting to the Maintenance Manager, the Maintenance Team Leader is a critical front-line leadership role. The successful candidate will be responsible for providing leadership, technical direction and coordination of the Mechanical Team maintenance practices to support employee safety, mill production and sustainability of asset & process reliability. This is achieved through the administration of safe, efficient and cost-effective maintenance (preventive, predictive and unscheduled) of all equipment on the site.
- Working with Team Members to reinforce and support safety being the core value for everyone at West Fraser – including contractors and visitors.
- Ensure that every safety hazard or concern is effectively addressed, and action plans established.
- Coach & develop Team Members to achieve cost effective results in accordance with safety procedures
- Confirm Alberta Occupational Health & Safety and Company safety policies & standards are understood by all team members and complied with.
- Ensure lock-out procedures are clearly understood and followed by all employees.
- As a Team Leader demonstrate appropriate leadership competencies to build relationships based upon trust, caring and integrity and assist development of team members through effective performance management.
- Ensure the Mechanical Team performs at the Key Performance Indicator (KPI) target level and immediately address any variances between actual performance and target.
- Communicate and collaborate with all departments on planned changes.
- Document all permanent changes, including cost information and new processes or procedures.
- Prepare and submit proposals for upgrading equipment and programming.
- Supervise the installation of approved improvement projects.
- Monitor and evaluate the performance of installed improvement projects.
- Ensure all Team Members are aware of the importance of using correct procedures when dealing with hazardous materials and spills and ensuring the reporting of spills is carried out in a prompt and responsible manner.
- Facilitate, develop, and implement continuous improvement of Standard Operating Procedures (SOPs) by educating, training, monitoring, and proactively coaching team members.
- Responding to changing priorities and operating conditions to meet business needs
Qualifications / Key Competencies:
- Certified Millwright or Mechanical Engineer or Certified Engineering Technologist
- Minimum of five (5) years of Manufacturing Maintenance experience in an industrial environment; preference given to those with forest product experience
- Safety Leadership skills and ability to effectively coach through various scenarios
- Strong mechanical aptitude with problem solving, planning, and organizational skills
- Solid work ethics and sound judgement
- Experience with mobile equipment maintenance would be a strong asset
- Effective communication and computer skills are required
- This position will be located at our West Fraser Grande Prairie, Alberta OSB facility
- The Maintenance Team Leader must be capable of working in an OSB manufacturing environment that includes exposure to noise, temperature variances, heights, stairways and grated elevated walkways, confined spaces, odors and the physical ability to travel through our industrial facility and lift / carry reasonable weights.
- Although the work schedule is primarily Monday to Friday, flexibility is required to respond to immediate business needs and events to support a 24/7/365 manufacturing facility.
Grande Prairie, Alberta is one of Canada’s fastest growing cities with a population of 70 000. Located less than 5 hours northwest of Edmonton in the “Peace Country Region”; Grande Prairie is the ‘hub’ for northern Alberta & northeastern BC; with infrastructure to support a population base of over 300 000.
For more information on West Fraser and our current opportunities, visit our website at: www.westfraser.com/jobs
West Fraser believes inclusive, diverse teams build a more vibrant workforce, safer operations and a stronger company overall. We strive to create workplaces and leadership teams that are reflective of the diverse communities we are a part of. We will not discriminate against any applicant for employment on the basis of race, gender, national origin or any other protected legal characteristic.
We would like to thank all applicants for their interest; however, only those candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.