Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. (Al-Pac) is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic, and supportive team player for the role of Ecologist.
Al-Pac is the largest single-line kraft pulp producer in North America and we are continuously investigating new and innovative ideas while delivering premium products in an environmentally sustainable way.
This is a full-time, permanent position located at our Millsite location near Athabasca, Alberta. The successful candidate will receive a competitive annual salary including paid pension and matching RRSP program, 4-week annual vacation, company paid dental and extended health benefits and many additional employee incentives. Relocation assistance is also available for those who need to move into the local area.
Our Ecologists represent the organization on a local, provincial, and national level. They are a specialist resource, balancing business and environmental goals for the short-term and long-term. The Ecologist identifies and develops business alternatives, optimizations, and recommendations around issues including species at risk, land-use planning, and sustainable forest management. They support research in forest ecology, ecosystem-based management, biodiversity/wildlife, climate change implications on forest management, and silviculture/forest reclamation/restoration.
Al-Pac’s Ecologist is responsible for:
- Corporate Representation – Representing Al-Pac’s ecosystem-based forest management approach and inter-relationships with biodiversity and forest ecology in external relations with government, industry, clients, the public, ENGOs, indigenous communities, and others.
- Facilitation of Research & Monitoring – Developing and delivering a major part of Woodland’s forest ecology research and biodiversity monitoring program.
- Environmental Policy & Scientific Publication Interpretation – Ensuring that activities adhere to the organization’s environmental (FSC) and regulatory policies and procedures, and communicating scientific publication findings.
- Stakeholder / Community Engagement & Relationship Building – Managing relationships, finding out needs/issues/concerns, and developing engagement plans.
- Cultivates Innovation
- Ensures Accountability
- Manages Ambiguity
- Instills Trust
- Communicates Effectively
- Builds Networks
Education & Experience:
- Graduate degree in Biological Sciences / Ecology / Forestry / Environmental Science.
- Wide and deep experience in natural resources management.
- Strong knowledge, understanding, and experience in working with FSC and other certification systems.
- Subject matter expertise in forest conservation, avian ecology, sustainable forest management, restoration ecology, boreal wetlands, plant ecology or a related field.
- Experience with stakeholder engagement and networking for regulatory development, including government and Indigenous relations.
- Experience with GIS and/or cumulative effects or forestry modeling software (asset).
- Operational knowledge and experience in the forestry sector (asset).
Please forward your resume in confidence to firstname.lastname@example.org. This position will be considered open until filled.
Al-Pac is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We wish to express our thanks to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.