The Senior Policy and Economics Analyst is responsible for developing and maintaining a comprehensive understanding of the policy and regulatory frameworks that impact Alberta’s forest sector and supporting the association’s ongoing engagement and advocacy efforts. The role reports to the Director, Environment and Regulatory Affairs, and supports the Manager, Forest Policy, Director, Industry, and Government Relations and the association’s senior leadership as required. The role requires an ongoing and rigorous scan of local and international jurisdictions to better understand existing and emerging opportunities and challenges for the sector regarding sustainability, climate policy, trade, and competitiveness. The Senior Policy and Economics Analyst will advance the association’s know-how of environmental, social and governance, and carbon policies and markets (voluntary and compliance) across jurisdictions to advise on its implications and opportunities for the forest sector.
The Senior Policy and Economics Analyst plays a key role in organizing the association’s engagement efforts with government and industry members. Given the diversity of files that the policy team works with, there will be an opportunity for the Senior Policy and Economics Analyst to lead projects and assume responsibility for advancing these to achieve tangible outcomes. The Senior Policy and Economics Analyst demonstrates competency to optimize work processes, manage complex information, collaborate with stakeholders, communicate effectively and develop a sense of team spirit.
The success of the role will be evaluated by considering how the Senior Policy and Economics Analyst performs at:
- Investing in relationships with the association’s stakeholders.
- Providing advice on policies and regulations that impact competitiveness and sustainability of Alberta’s Forest Sector and mechanisms to communicate this effectively.
- Developing and managing approaches to evaluate and measure the health and performance of the forest sector.
- Representing the AFPA on various committees and working groups.
- Providing administrative support for policy engagement efforts as needed, including writing briefing notes; developing meeting agendas, and record-keeping.
The Senior Policy and Economics Analyst will work closely with Managers and Directors and with the senior leadership team to enable the success of the policy team and the association. A curious mind and an ability to develop creative solutions will help the successful candidate excel in a fast-paced, outcomes-focused, and fun environment.
- Strong familiarity and experience with policy analysis and policy development
- Strong understanding of government
- Relevant degree