Alberta-Pacific Forest Industries Inc. (Al-Pac) is seeking a highly motivated, enthusiastic and supportive team player for the role of Controls/Electrical Engineer.
The Controls/Electrical Engineer position will work with the Project and Operations teams to build and implement a supervisory time horizon profit optimizer to predict and decide when to optimally bid and dispatch power generation and ancillary market mechanisms for the Al-Pac power generating facility. This is a one-year contract position for 40 hours/week, located at our mill site location near Athabasca, Alberta.
• Implement machine learning/AI tools to predict likely power pool prices over a future time horizon and also predict likely ancillary service (such as LSSI, Dispatchable Contingency reserve, and Regulating reserve) daily clearing prices in order to inform Al-Pac operations to create the day ahead bid schedules.
• Analyze the options for Power Purchase Agreement (PPA) contracts for new and existing assets and determine an optimal baseload PPA which minimized downside risk in low power price periods but maintains adequate upside during super peaks.
Business Requirements Identification:
• Work with Operations CRU team to identify current and future bid requirements including use of ADAMS and LSSI systems.
• Work with project development team to understand impacts and capabilities, and limitations of new Stack Heat Recovery and Gas turbine projects including control strategies.
• Act as a bridge between Project Development and Implementation Team and mill DCS Team to ensure control strategies can be implemented ahead of equipment start-up.
Education & Experience
• Electrical, Controls, or Process Engineering Degree with specialty in Advanced Controls.
• BSc in Engineering or BEng with MScs preferred.
• Must be Eligible to register with APEGA as an EIT or P.Eng.
• 3+ months experience working within implementation of advanced controls systems.
• Experience utilizing AI, Fuzzy Logic, machine learning, and model predictive controls and algorithms.
• Familiarity & experience with Honeywell Experion Profit Controller or equivalent experience with multivariable predictive controls is considered an asset.
• Experience with MATLAB would be an asset.
• Experience with linear programing and linear algebra would be considered an asset.
• Manages Complexity
• Ensures Accountability
• Drives Results
• Action Oriented
Please forward your resume in confidence to email@example.com by October 23, 2020
Al-Pac is an equal opportunity employer and encourages applications from all qualified individuals. We wish to express our thanks to all applicants for their interest and effort in applying for this position; however, only candidates selected for an interview will be contacted.