Mercer Peace River Pulp Ltd. is an integral part of the Canadian forest products industry, providing the North-West, Alberta region with approximately 300 jobs while sustainably managing the forests. A career at Mercer Peace River offers an opportunity for growth, meaningful work, and a collaborative learning environment. Throughout your career, you will be supported by a team of highly skilled professionals and provided the self-motivating environment needed to make your goals achievable.
Mercer Peace River has an exciting opportunity for a self-driven, motivated individual to fill the full time, permanent position of Safety Assistant in our Health & Safety Resources Department. In this role, the Safety Assistant will direct the front office activities and will assist the Safety Loss Control Technicians with their day to day activities. The successful candidate will also provide administrative support to the Health & Safety Manager as required.
Roles & Responsibilities:
- Directing front office activities which include providing site-specific orientations to groups entering the mill, issuing locks and parking passes, issuing of the fuel keys and ensuring fuel usage is recorded, participating in department meetings, and taking minutes., etc.
- Treatment of minor and major injuries until further help has arrived, as well as initiating patient care reports.
- Promoting safe work attitudes by encouraging and educating others on preventative measures
- Enforces various mill policies (i.e. smoking, plastic, parking, speed limits, etc.)
- Assist Safety Loss Control Technicians with fire suppression system administration, and first-aid room inventory
- Provide administration support to the Health and Safety Manager and the Health and Safety Coordinator as required
- Assist with housekeeping of the front office and the First Aid Room, as well as ensuring snow is cleared from the main entrance to the parking lot.
- Additional duties as required
The successful candidate must possess a High School diploma or equivalent. Post-secondary education in a relevant field (ex. Business Administration, Occupational Health & Safety Certificate, etc.); or 2+ years of administrative experience working in a safety-focused environment is preferred. The successful candidate must also possess a current First Aid certification. An Advanced First Aid Certification will be considered an asset.
Candidates should also have:
- Strong verbal and written communication skills with the ability to interact with leaders and team members under pressure while remaining calm, proactive, and efficient
- Excellent presentation skills with the ability to engage a diverse audience
- Experience working with Microsoft Office. Google Suite of Applications is considered an asset.
- Strong ability to organize and prioritize under pressure
- Must be able to sit for long periods of time
- Must be able to work Monday-Thursday, 7:00 a.m. to 5:00 p.m. Longer hours may be required during upset mill conditions and outages