Position Summary: International Paper’s Grande Prairie Global Cellulose Fibers Mill is seeking a Mechanical Capital Project Engineer. Reporting to the Engineer Manager, the position is responsible for the management and delivery of multiple projects with excellence using the project delivery process. We are seeking a candidate with knowledge of industrial reliability improvement methods, programs, processes and technologies.
- Bachelor Science of Mechanical Engineering. 5-10 years of experience. Registered Professional Engineer with APEGA. Ability to stamp mechanical drawings.
- Previous experience with conceptual design, front-end and detailed engineering of process piping. Knowledge of ASME piping codes, B31.1 and B31.3 and Boiler Pressure Vessel codes. Familiar with Alberta Boilers Branch standards and design registration process
- Experience using AutoCAD, SAP
- Excellent communication skills (verbal and written) and proven ability to collaborate with team members in a multi-disciplined environment;
- Technical competence and strong attention to detail.
- Experience working with and mentoring junior engineers
- Ability to work in an industrial environment and familiar with the pulp and paper industry
Mechanical Engineering Duties:
- Facility and pipeline mechanical design. Familiar with equipment sizing/selection and piping design/layout/construction.
- Carry out the detailed mechanical engineering work for projects.
- Plans, coordinates and completes mechanical design work requests
- Comply with all safety standards and meet all legal requirements
- Comply with all mechanical engineering standards
- Provide technical support for the pulp mill
- Ensure control documents are current and available. Familiar with isometrics and process flow diagrams.
- Ensure that mechanical standards (rotating equipment, piping, pressure vessels, and tanks are current and available)
- Review and approve mill management of change requests
- Provide process safety engineering support
- Prepare mechanical engineering design notes, calculations, and specifications.
- Work with other disciplines to develop P&IDs, and isometric piping drawings.
- Prepare line, valve, tie-in, and specialty item lists.
- Prepare work packages for field and construction services.
- Provide input into operability, constructability, and operational plant trouble shooting.
- Ensure the technical content within engineering deliverables is of the highest quality.
- Participate in design reviews.
- Assist with ensuring regulatory applications and standards are satisfied.
- Responsible for the management and delivery of multiple projects with excellence using the project delivery process.
- Identifies adequate staffing to deliver all project results including safety, schedule, quality of work, cost control, procurement, change management, adherence to specifications and standards, construction, commissioning, start up, document control and communication of activity and results
- Coordinate project development with regional engineering office and multidisciplinary teams
- Coordinate project value improving practice sessions
- Prepare data sheets, specifications, and RFPs for equipment to be ordered.
- Work with procurement personnel to purchase and expedite equipment
- Review vendor drawings and documentation.
- Coordinate and review inspection and quality control services for fabricated equipment.
- Prepare vendor scope/cost/schedule change orders.
- Safely manage the project construction phase
About us: The Grande Prairie mill was built by Procter & Gamble in 1972, purchased by Weyerhaeuser in 1992 and in 2016, International Paper acquired Weyerhaeuser’s Global Cellulose Fibers business and integrated the Grande Prairie Mill into its pulp operations. Our pulp and paper mills are complex facilities that sustainably convert trees and/or recycled fiber into products such as boxes, sheets of paper, and fluff pulp for hygiene and other products. Hundreds of interrelated mechanical, electrical, and chemical unit processes provide unlimited opportunities to utilize a combination of technical and people skills. We have spent more than 100 years creating new ideas, and we are looking for people who can collaborate to help us build on our history, while creating future success. We are committed to attracting, preparing, promoting and supporting our teams. At International Paper, you control your destiny. We offer benefits, challenges, and total rewards.
International Paper is an equal opportunity employer. Our core values are: Commitment, Ownership, Respect, and Excellence