West Fraser is a leading forest products company in North America. Recognized for the seventh time as one of Canada’s Top 100 Employers, we continue to grow. Our goals are straightforward – excellence in people, responsibility in communities, leadership, profitability, challenge, and growth.
Our Hinton Pulp Division is seeking an individual with strong leadership, organization, and interpersonal skills to fill the following position:
BUYER (ONE YEAR TERM)
Reporting to the Purchasing and Materials Superintendent, the Buyer will negotiate and administer agreements for services and materials, maintenance contracts, and projects; all whilst following company policies and ensuring applicable legislation is followed. The Buyer is also responsible for reviewing vendor and contractor tenders, staying up to date on new products and equipment, and making improvements in order to reduce spending.
- Estimate cost-saving benefits of sourcing opportunities and develop sourcing strategies
- Lead collection and analysis of regional purchases, usage patterns, and key vendors
- Gather internal customer requirements and ensure the needs of internal customers are met
- Build and maintain relationships with external customers; facilitating meetings between the service providers and internal groups
- Chemical management of the plant
- Analyze financial performance of vendors
- Set up new suppliers, initiate net terms and act as a liaison between contractors and mill
- Prepare, distribute, collect, and analyze Request for Proposal (RFP) Request for Quote (RFQ) and Request for Information (RFI).
- Review T’s and C’s for project personnel and daily executed contracts
- Initiate, prepare, and work on Non-Disclosure Agreements (NDA’s) between the mill and suppliers
- Manage contract negotiations and capital expenditure
- Oversee contractor pre-qualification process
- Responsible for investment recovery processes including disposal of surplus
- Analyzing and transferring requisitions into purchase orders and expediting dated purchase orders
- Select vendors using supplier evaluation tools
- Support teams in conducting negotiations with financial/bid analysis
- Work on continuous improvement/total cost of ownership projects both internal and external, together with operations, maintenance, engineering and suppliers
- Must possess, or be enrolled in, an industry-recognized purchasing designation, preferably SCMP
- 5 years’ purchasing experience in an industrial or manufacturing environment
- A thorough comprehension of contract negotiation and business management practices
- Strong interpersonal skills and comfortable interacting with employees at all levels of the organization
- A self-motivated, with a strong sense of urgency and ability to meet deadlines
- A strong commitment to customer service
- Proficiency with MS Outlook, MS Excel, MS Word, Maximo, and Oracle
- Ability to work effectively in a team environment
- A desire to progress, learn, grow, and succeed
- Embody the West Fraser core values of safety, integrity, humility, teamwork, frugality, competitiveness, respect and fun
Our employees drive our success. We believe in providing opportunities for growth and advancement and are looking for someone who wants to build their career in our company. In addition to competitive wages and benefits, Hinton Pulp offers a stable, rewarding career. Hinton Pulp also offers an attractive relocation package.
We are located in Hinton, Alberta, 20 minutes east of Jasper National Park, and 2½ hours west of Edmonton. Hinton, set amidst the stunning scenery of the Alberta Rockies, is a modern community of 10,000 offering terrific lifestyles for individuals and families.
Our region is an outdoor enthusiast’s paradise, with exciting activities from skiing, snowmobiling, camping, hiking, fishing, hunting, and ATV’s. Hinton features a full-service acute care hospital, major retail and restaurant chains, community parks and pools, educational institutions for pre-school through post-secondary. To learn more, visit the Town of Hinton Web site: www.hinton.ca.
Interested applicants should apply online by sending their resume, cover letter, and transcripts/proof of qualifications in confidence. To apply, click on our job ad at www.westfraser.com/jobs and then click “apply now” in green at the top of the page.
We thank all candidates for their interest; however, only those selected for an interview will be contacted. No phone inquiries, please.