Northland Forest Products
Northland is a privately-held forest products company that has operated a sawmill north of Fort McMurray since the 1970s. Northland is a large embedded quota holder in Alberta’s largest Forest Management Area which is held by Alberta Pacific Forest Industries. Over the past two decades, Northlands has strategically invested significantly into the sawmill which has allowed it to become a high-efficiency sawmill with a well-established reputation for high-quality lumber. The city of Fort McMurray offers a vibrant, family-oriented community with excellent services and amenities.
Description of position
Northland is presently seeking an innovative, well-rounded and team orientated professional to fill an exciting, multifaceted role within our woodlands group. Reporting to the Woodlands Manager, this individual will lead the team that is responsible for supplying conifer fibre to our sawmill, and deciduous fibre to Alberta Pacific. Key responsibilities will be met while upholding progressive, sustainable forest management practices in a safe and cost-effective manner meeting quality, government regulatory and certification requirements.
Key Responsibilities include:
- Oversee and provide leadership to supervisory staff and contractors on all activities associated with the company’s woodland operations (these primarily include operational planning, access development, harvesting, and log deliveries (annual production of 350-400,000m³) in a direct and engaging manner;
- Coordinate and integrate operational activities with those of the FMA holder;
- Assist the Woodlands Manager with the preparation and implementation of budgets and the management of delivered wood costs;
- Harvest and haul rate development and negotiation;
- Proactively manage log quality;
- Ensure all woodland activities are conducted in compliance with applicable legislation, company policies and procedures and Environmental Management Systems;
- Compliance monitoring, inspections, and reporting;
- Data management and record keeping;
- Liaise with government personnel to obtain approvals, manage compliance and meet reporting requirements;
- Participate in consultation with Indigenous and local communities, and;
- Work in close collaboration with internal and external stakeholders.
The ideal candidate will be a graduate of a post-secondary forestry program and have three to five years of related supervisory experience and seven to ten years related forestry experience. Candidates must be eligible for registration with the College of Alberta Professional Foresters (CAPF) or College of Alberta Professional Forest Technologists (CAPFT). A self-motivated individual with strong interpersonal, communication and organizational skills are essential. Experience with various forest certification standards, in particular, FSC would be considered an asset.
Northlands offers a comprehensive and attractive compensation package including benefits plan, RRSP contributions, education and professional development support, and assignment of a company vehicle. Relocation assistance may be offered to well-qualified candidates living outside the Fort McMurray area.
This is a great opportunity for a self-starter to flourish and excel as we offer an open, innovative culture with a positive and dynamic work environment that provides diverse opportunities with a well-balanced lifestyle.
Qualified candidates should e-mail a current resume’ and cover letter to firstname.lastname@example.org or fax their credentials, in confidence, to (780) 791-1910, Attention Human Resources.
All candidates must be eligible to work in Canada. We thank all applicants for their interest. Only those selected for further consideration will be contacted.
CLOSING DATE FOR APPLICATIONS IS: June 21, 2019